Sunday, May 12, 2013

Selfie Sunday with a Jazz Age Twist

Wouldn't it be awesome if pearls and diamonds were acceptable casual wear?


Despite having stellar fashion, I'm not going to be all nostalgic about previous time periods because they were all pretty oppressive to women. How I would love to be a lady in waiting to Elizabeth I in silks and lace, until the only things I'm allowed to do are sit in the shade to concentrate my paleness, do needlework and scavenge for a noble husband from a good family who will bring up my own family's social status. It's all fun and games until you fall in love with the stable boy.

One of the biggest complaints I keep hearing about The Great Gatsby is that it's largely just a showcase for expensive and excessive clothes, to which I respond: Well... of course it is. The 1920s in America was a time of ridiculous economic carelessness, largely characterized by extravagance and luxury. Wearing an entire Tiffany store was normal, at least for those with  a few dollar bills stuffed in their bras. Of course the '20s are portrayed to be a decade of glossy and superficial recklessness; that's exactly what they were. Besides, it's so much fun to look at.


Personally, I think we should bring back the flapper style (perhaps with less fringe, though). It'll probably be coming back now, what with the movie and all, but I've discovered that hardly anything feels as good as putting on some red lipstick and a crap-ton of jewels.

I tried to be Jordan Baker. Did it work?

I think Jordan has got to be my favourite character from Gatsby (at least the film version of her), if for no other reason than that she is the haughtiest thing in the world.
I also happen to admire the fact that she is the only female character in the book/films who I actually respect. She's very new-age; she's not delicate and flighty like Daisy. She's a sportswoman who wears a gorgeously skimpy amount of black and is brutally and ironically dishonest. To me she's a new breed of woman, who is, even then, not entirely accepted because of her "fastness." Cue the slut-shaming rant.

I think she's one of those characters who is traditionally unlikeable, yet somehow manages to romanticize her flaws (hmm, much like Jay Gatsby, I would say). Daisy is the exact opposite. She is enchanting in theory, but her flaws strip her of any beauty or worthy characteristics previously presented. 

Yes, I think I'd much rather be a Jordan than a Daisy. Either woman's wardrobe will do, though.


No comments:

Post a Comment