Wednesday, July 17, 2013

A Redefinition of Adulthood

I usually consider myself to be responsible with money, but sometimes my own childish desires get the best of me. I suppose I am learning that I should not step foot in a toy store. Or the Disney Store. Or go on eBay. Or Amazon. Or the internet in general. Actually, maybe I need to hire Britney Spears' dad to control my finances and sanity; I think that worked well for her.

Here's what happens: I'm usually minding my own business admiring the wonders of first world capitalism when along comes some incredible object that I must possess at any price (okay, a reasonable price. Usually). So far such starry-eyed purchases have included:


Kinder Surprises
And an obscene number of them. Luckily I can justify this under the pretence of liking the chocolate; little do my fellow adults know that I am slowly "collecting them all."

My Brandon Walsh Doll
Yes, it's a Barbie Jason Priestley, and he's wonderful. This was more of me expressing my love for Beverly Hills 90210; I was close to buying the entire cast and Peach Pit Playset, but that would have just been ridiculous.

Squishy Ariel Figurines?
I forget what these are officially called; all kids' toys these days seem to have odd names including multiple 'Z's. 
But they were just too squishy and cute and choking-hazard-y to pass up.

Princess Minnie
This one is justified in that it was a souvenir from my first and only trip to Disney World.

Nimbus the Owl (or Snowy or Spells or whatever its official name is. I don't know)
I got this guy on a trip to the Zoo, and I'd been eyeing him for weeks beforehand, so it was an informed purchase.

Snow Leopard Cub
Do you know how hard it is to find a good snow leopard stuffed animal? Answer: Very hard. It's my favourite animal so when I found it I had to get it. I named her Himalaya because cute, right?!

My Little Pony Rarity Figurine

Again, I'm not just buying random stuff; I usually just buy my favourite of comically childish things. Rarity, for example, is my favourite character on My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Not that I watch the show or anything.

SULLEY!!!
I went to the new Disney Store in town yesterday to check it out, and of course I had to take this guy home. He's so adorable, I can't handle it. Oozma Kappa Fraternity for the win!

MU Water Bottle
I just can't wait to take this bad boy to the gym. 
It totally beats out my U of A water bottle anytime.


Overall, I think this is pretty normal behaviour. There is nothing wrong with being in touch with your inner child! On second thought, that sounds a little wrong...

I can justify anything these days under the umbrella statement of "I'm an adult, I can make my own decisions!" It's true, isn't it? Just because adults are supposed to spend their money on pipeline stocks and Canadian Living Magazine subscriptions doesn't mean I have to. Or maybe I'll just hold out until I have kids and then I can buy them everything I secretly want and pretend I'm getting it for them, like in the Shopaholic books when Becky uses her toddler's allowance to purchase fancy pony toys. Having kids is totally like having a Toys R Us line of credit! A foolproof plan if I do say so myself.


IMAGE SOURCES
Spells: Ty.com
Snow Leopard: WildRepublic.com
Sulley and Water Bottle: DisneyStore.com

No comments:

Post a Comment